• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Unemployment Refuses to pay retro-active benefits.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Union County NJ.

I made the one year anniversary on 06/21/2010. I had to call to get my last 2 checks from that tier paid to me because it was passed the 1 year mark, I believe it was tier 3. The claims lady told me that I didn't qualify for the next tier because of the date. She also told me I didn't qualify for a new claim because I was totally unemployed for the whole year so no wages to establish a claim. She did tell me to claim my benefits as usual because when the extension is passed I will get credit for those weeks. I asked when the extension was supposed to be passed and she said probably not until July 12th.

So I did as I was told, every 2 weeks claimed and waited, checking the website regularly to see when the extension was passed. As you know it was passed the 2nd. I tried calling the reemployment numbers numerous times and always got told to "high volume of calls, call back later". I finally get Thur today and to my SHOCK/HORROR I was told I would NOT be paid anything because I waited 7 weeks to call about my money. I was told and I quote "since I wasn't calling looking for my money in all that time, they question whether I really need it". I have the stubs that show I claimed every 2 weeks like I was supposed to, the claims says previous weeks are pended. After the extension was passed expecting they were a little back logged so I gave it a few days then started calling but apparently that wasn't fast enough to them...I should have been calling everyday even though the extension wasn't passed by even congress yet.

So now I won't get the last 7 weeks of benefits...over 2300 because I didn't pester them for it. Exactly what was I supposed to do BEFORE the extension was passed....call, threaten, curse out the claims people? Please tell me this is not right....do I really forfeit these weeks just because I didn't call and hound them? Is there someone/where I can call or write to appeal this? Is this even a valid/legal reason to not pay someone?

pattytx

Try contacting your state assemblyperson or state senator. I'm sure there are other people in the same boat.

Came back to give you Patty a BIG THANK YOU!
I contacted the governor, assemblyman for my district, and mayor and I just got a phone call from the DOL saying the governor contacted them about me and that all weeks will be paid & my claim is fine now! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">