• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Beneficiary!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelzip_21

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have a complicated situation. My brother passed away last month. He told my mother that he had named her as the sole benficiary on his life insurance policy at work. He did this his first day of work, that was seven years ago. But now that he has died the insurance company says that there is no beneficiary listed on his policy. My first question is, is there anyway to fight the insurance company is this regard? We know for a fact that on the first day of work at this particular company employees are required to fill out papers that ask the employee to name a beneficiary in order to start receiving life insurance coverage.

second half:
My mother is divorced from my brother's father. My brother was 29 years old. He hadn't seen his father since he was a baby. Would my mother have to share half of the life insurance money with my brother's father if the insurance company does not find the beneficiary papers that have my mother listed as the benficiary? He wouldn't have wanted his father to receive any of this money, Is there anything we can do about this at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks a lot,

kelzip_21

Dandy Don

If this insurance was purchased through a place of employment, did you check with the employer to see if they might have paperwork that would shed light on the situation?

Has insurance company said that they are not going to pay anything at all since no beneficiary was named? If they haven't said that, then don't mention it to them, but if they do say it you need to file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner. You should fight so that the surviving spouse/family can get access to this money, which you probably will win if there is nothing in insurance law that prevents it.

K

kelzip_21

I did check with the employer and they said that they sent all of their info to the insurance company.

The insurance company didn't say that my mother wouldn't receive money, they said that she would have to split the money equally with my brother's father. She doesn't want that since he hasn't even bothered to so much as send a card to my brother since my bro was 1 yr old. I don't think his father deserves any money.

We tried to call the insurance company today and no one answers our calls. I am sick and tired of all of this crap we are having to go through just to get things done.

kelzip_21

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">