• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No breaks, no relief?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aurora957

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

I've worked in the hospitality industry for 8 years now. I have been in the same position the whole time, but worked for many companies. My shift is graveyard hours from 11pm to 7am. In other hotels, I have at least had a security guard that would watch the desk for any reason. At my new hotel, there isn't even a guard here. It's me all by my lonesome. However, here is my problem....since I work eight hours...aren't I entitled to a lunch break, or bathroom break? Because I have been reprimanded for not answering the phone right away (I was in the restroom) and on another occasion the owner stopped in at 3am when I was just coming out of the restroom and he gave me a bad time about leaving the desk unattended. I explained what I was doing and they seem to think I should stop WHATEVER I'm doing and answer the phone in under three rings.(Which is impossible unless you are right on top of the stupid thing) Their excuse for getting around giving me a lunch break, is that my work load is so light, my whole shift is one long break. Aren't I legally supposed to be allowed at LEAST a 15 minute break where I'm not responsible for answering the phone? How is this legal that I'm chained to the stupid desk?
***Let me guess, I'm supposed to wear "Depends" and just "GO" while I babysit the phone, right?!?! :)

It's not too big of a deal right now, but since I'm being given a hard time by a few department heads, I want to know my rights before I get in over my head or fired!!

Thanks in Advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legally, there is NOTHING in either Federal or Arizona law that requires them to give you a rest break of any kind. They have no legal obligation under either Federal or state statute to give you a meal break, a rest break, or even time to use the rest room.

That is not to say that I think you're being unreasonable...I don't. But nothing in the law provides you with any support when and if you complain.

Beth3

FYI - federal OSHA standards do require that employees have access to bathrooms. A 1998 memorandum written by OSHA's directorate of compliance states that the standard requires employers to make toilet facilities available so that employees can use them when they need to do so and that an employer may not impose unreasonable restrictions on employees' use of facilities.

Aurora, while your employer is not required to provide you with breaks per se, they DO have to allow you to go to the bathroom as necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">