• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No contract involved in auto sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suz4sure

California
I bought a car with $2,000.00 down for $8000.00. The dealer only gave me a receipt for the down payment and a bill of sale indicating the balance due. I was able to take the vehicle with only those 2 pieces of paper. No contract, financing or any other paperwork! They said they need to find a finance company for me. This was on May 17 and it is now Aug. 22. I have continuously called them to complete this transaction and they keep stalling. Now the tags are out of date and the radiator is leaking. I don't know what to do! I have signed nothing!!!!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
California
I bought a car with $2,000.00 down for $8000.00. The dealer only gave me a receipt for the down payment and a bill of sale indicating the balance due. I was able to take the vehicle with only those 2 pieces of paper. No contract, financing or any other paperwork! They said they need to find a finance company for me. This was on May 17 and it is now Aug. 22. I have continuously called them to complete this transaction and they keep stalling. Now the tags are out of date and the radiator is leaking. I don't know what to do! I have signed nothing!!!!
You do have a contract. It is just not one in which you signed something in writing. You really don't want to do that for a car sale. Don't leave the place until you have a written contract and have secured a firm commitment on the financing. Otherwise you get trapped in the con of a dealer saying later that your anticipated financing fell through and it wants the car back unless you agree to financing that — surprise — ends up being a lot more expensive than what the dealer told you when you were negotiating the deal.

You likely bought the car "as is" so the leaking radiator would be your problem to deal with. As to getting the car properly titled and registered, you need to put some pressure on that dealer to come through with the title so you can get tags. I suggest contacting the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) for help.

adjusterjack

Meantime, suz4sure, I suggest you find your own financing ASAP (local bank or credit union) and bring a check for the balance to the dealer.

Go online to your DMV website and see if you can get a 30 day temporary tag.

Litigator22

Meantime, suz4sure, I suggest you find your own financing ASAP (local bank or credit union) and bring a check for the balance to the dealer.
Do you really think that a lender would be foolish enough to do that? To cut a check for $6K trusting that the payee is not only willing but also capable of delivering up the certificate of title to the vehicle. And the certificate displaying the necessary endorsements enabling it to be reissued in the name of the borrower with the lender shown as first lien holder?

Might it be that the dealer's procrastination is because it is unable to produce title to the vehicle? Also that it is very unlikely that the OP can find a lender willing to issue such a check relying on the good faith of a car dealer. I don't see one putting their eggs in that basket.

Along with following TM's advice I would have the OP provide DMV with the VIN and order a history search.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">