• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No contract & Sex discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Poziomka

What is the name of your state? New York
For the past 15 months I have been working for a start-up financial services firm. Given the tough economic times, everyone in the company worked without a stable paycheck but with a promise of recieving money once the money started flowing into the company. I should add no one in the company has a contract. I was working four days a week and any other days when the company needed me. After 15 months of work I was paid approximately 25,000 (I was cheated out of at least 20,000) which is 75,000 less than the employee above me. I am the only woman in the company, the only one for whom the company does not pay insurance or health club fees. I am also the only one for whom the IRA account has not been set up. When I started complaining my boss proposed that I sign two contracts which would were false - they stated that I have worked for the company as an independent contractor on only 2 projects, for only 9 months, and for a flat fee! I didn't sign them and I contacted a lawyer with whom I will meet shortly. I am planning on suing for backpay which I deserve and for discrimination given that none of the men in the company where treated the way I was. In those cases do lawyers collect the money after the case has been won or do I have to cover all the charges.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're getting a little ahead of yourself. FIRST you file a complaint of gender discrimination with the EEOC. The EEOC investigates and makes a determination. Unless they find completely against you, you are then issued a right-to-sue letter. THEN you file the lawsuit. You CANNOT file a lawsuit without the right-to-sue letter.

The answer to your question depends on the strength of your case and the agreement you have with your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">