• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No contract, what are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doris

I am the Landlord. There was no written contract when property was rented. tenant refuse to pay, want to evict what are their rights and mine?

L

LL

You have the right to rent out your property based only on a written agreement.

HomeGuru

Doris said:
I am the Landlord. There was no written contract when property was rented. tenant refuse to pay, want to evict what are their rights and mine?
HomeGuru response:
T is considered a m/m tenant. Read your applicable L/T laws to terminate a tenancy due to non payment of rent.

HomeGuru

younglsm said:
You have the right to rent out your property based only on a written agreement.

HomeGuru response: You can rent out property on a verbal agreement and such agreement is subject to the State L/T laws.

M

Mecoco

http://consumer.pub.findlaw.com/housing/tenant/index.html

Here is a link for tenant landlord laws that should help you. I know in California you do NOT need a written contract for month to month tenancy. Simply accepting money from a person, depending on the frequency, establishes the term and is all that is needed to establish tenancy. You should be able to serve a pay or quit notice. If they do not pay then you can go to court and start the unlawful detainer process to get posession of your property back. Please check this link though for your State laws.

L

LL

HomeGuru, you misunderstood my sentence.

When I wrote,
You have the right to rent out your property based only on a written agreement, I meant that Doris can rent out her property where all terms are embodied in a written agreement. If she doesn't take advantage of that right, pity.

By the way, in California, a lease for more than a year is not enforceable if it is not in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">