• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no coverage w/trampoline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FSWII

What is the name of your state? AZ
I just refinanced my house. Today I recieved a letter from my insurance agent. I guess the insurance people came and took pictures of the house. (We knew they were going to.) She says they have a picture of our trampoline in the back yard and we are to dismantle it immediately. Our agent tells us that EVERY SINGLE COMPANY offering homeowners insurance in the State of Arizona has prohibited homes with trampolines. Our agent tells us that the ins. co. will send their own inspector and if he/she sees a trampoline (we have already dismantled it) they would have no choice but to notify the company underwriter. In turn, our policy would be cancelled without ceremony.

I realize that I probably have no options here. However, I am upset. The trampoline was originally purchased for out 11 year old son just a couple of months ago. It has since become an excellent exercise option for the other three adults living in the house. It is situated in a safe place in our fenced yard. It is used safely and with supervision. I realize also that there were over 100,000 trampoline related accidents in 2001 and they are on the increase. On the other hand, my neighbor has an unfenced pool. Does he pay higher homeowner's insurance rates?

My hairdryer came with a warning not to use it in the shower or tub. My sunvisor for my car came with a warning not to drive with it in the window. The coffee I buy at the drive-through has a warning on the cup telling me it's hot. Shouldn't trampolines come with a warning that your homeowners insurance might be cancelled?

Am I really option-less in this situation?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

An insurance company can "draw a line in the sand" anywhere they want. In your case, the "line" is a trampoline.

They sell a product, and that product has risks involved that they are not willing to take or accept - - whether it's your child or a neighbor who may get injured. They don't have to take the risk.

On the other hand, you're entitled to search this country for an insurance company who's willing to accept that risk. In other words, if you don't like the "product", don't buy it. Go someplace else to buy your policy.

Simple. It really is.

IAAL

JETX

"Am I really option-less in this situation?"
*** Of course not. You can simply put $100,000 or so in cash into a savings account and hope that it is enough to cover the claim(s) when (not if) someone gets injured.

Or you can contact any 'trampoline sales' company in Arizona and ask them about options to purchase insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">