• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"No Diving" signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssatl

Hello. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with establishments not posting a No Diving sign if they have a body of water on their property.
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with establishments not posting a No Diving sign if they have a body of water on their property.
Thanks
What US state? And, do you have a specific matter that you are involved in? If you do, then please post the details of the matter. Thank you.

LdiJ

Thanks
I have never known any establishment to post a "No Diving" sign unless the water was very shallow.

LdiJ

Just about every hotel I've visited has a "no diving" sign next to their pool.
I can see that. I don't recall ever seeing one but its been a long time since I have used a hotel pool, and companies are much more cautious about liability these days.

xylene

Just about every hotel pool is not deep enough for diving. A pool deeper than 6 feet is pretty rare at hotels, and that's not nearly deep enough for a safe dive.

In all my traveling I can recall exactly one hotel with a diving board, and that was at a lifeguarded pool that was more like a small aqua park.

Zigner

I'd like to see the OP respond to my questions, but a few years back, there was a lawsuit against a Florida bar for failing to post signs and have guardrails for the shallow water around the bar.

Zigner

Just about every hotel pool is not deep enough for diving. A pool deeper than 6 feet is pretty rare at hotels, and that's not nearly deep enough for a safe dive.
In my younger days, I was consistently able to successfully dive in to water that was less than 3' deep. I agree that, for the average person, such a dive is risky, but it is doable.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not talking about pike dives in to the water or anything...I'm talking about a swimmer's entry type of dive. Just skimming the surface.

xylene

In my younger days, I was consistently able to successfully dive in to water that was less than 3' deep. I agree that, for the average person, such a dive is risky, but it is doable.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not talking about pike dives in to the water or anything...I'm talking about a swimmer's entry type of dive. Just skimming the surface.
That's true, however a pool that is less than 8 feet deep, ideally 10 or more, is not rateable as safe for diving.

quincy

Thanks
ssatl, a No Diving sign can be an added warning to others but barriers are often enough to give swimmers the notice they need.

Did you contact a personal injury attorney yet?

Zigner

ssatl, a No Diving sign can be an added warning to others but barriers are often enough to give swimmers the notice they need.

Did you contact a personal injury attorney yet?
We don't know that he has been hurt, as opposed to just receiving a school assignment ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">