• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No entrance to apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KLanceyJr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hello, our management is redoing the floor in the hallway outside our apartment. They left a note on our door the night before saying we weren't allowed to enter or leave our apartment between 8am and 5pm the next day. Can they bar us from our apartment like that? It just seems really weird to me and I was hoping for a second opinion.

Thanks for any advice.

xylene

Given notice and it is less than 24 hours, yes.

Sorry it is inconvenient.

Say they needed to do work in the apartment. Same thing.

OK - Please clarify is this from 8am to 5pm on the SAME day or like 8am thursday to 5pm friday

Last edited:

KLanceyJr

We are on the 1.5 floor. We have about half a flight up to our floor, the floor below us is about halfway in the ground.

We received the flyer sometime in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They said we would not be able to enter or exit the apartment from 8am-5pm on Wednesday.

Gail in Georgia

"Hello, our management is redoing the floor in the hallway outside our apartment. They left a note on our door the night before saying we weren't allowed to enter or leave our apartment between 8am and 5pm the next day. Can they bar us from our apartment like that? "

Since you received the note on your door, the issue isn't a "bar" from your apartment but rather leaving it during that time period.

Sounds like a pain in a low spot but does it matter whether it was provided within 24 hours or not? What would you like to see happen?

Since you were posting this Wednesday evening (and the event was supposed to take place Wednesday from 8 am to 5 pm) sounds like the work has been done.

Gail

KLanceyJr

Since you were posting this Wednesday evening (and the event was supposed to take place Wednesday from 8 am to 5 pm) sounds like the work has been done.

Gail
So the first note they left was on Tuesday, work was supposed to be done Wednesday and long story short, they continue to leave notes on our door every afternoon saying the same thing that the work is going to be done the following day but that's not really the point. Whether the work has been done or not already, I was just wondering if it was completely legal for them to ask us to leave our apartment for that long.

OK-LL

Yes, it's completely legal for the landlord to ask you to not damage the work/repairs for a 9-hour period, even if this means you don't have ingress or egress to your rental for that 9-hour period. Why is it such a hardship? If you work normal hours, it's a no-brainer, the work will be done while you are gone. If you work odd hours or are a student with school hours, is it really so difficult to accomodate the necessary maintenance? That you're even asking the question, I would guess there's more to the story of your relationship with the landlord than just this one circumstance.

STEPHAN

If this is a problem, have you talked to the workers or the management?

People approached in a nice way are usually willing to listen and work on finding solutions.

There is always a legal way and a less official way.

KLanceyJr

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. You're right OK-LL, there is much more to the story. Unfortunately the management here seem to not be able to get anything straight. I've had to correct them on more things than I'm comfortable admitting. And unfortunately, both my wife and I work odd hours, so it is very inconvenient for us. The other way that it is inconvenient is for the two dogs. We are usually able to let them out multiple times during the day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">