• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No hot water

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

In L.A.

Hello, I'm located in California and was wondering if someone could advise me. I moved into my apartment in June, and for the third time since moving in, the building has no hot water. It usually takes the landlord about three days to "fix" the problem. The building is managed by a real estate company, and I realize they're busy, but three days is an awful long time to go without hot water. I'm extremely frustrated, and when I call and notify them of the situation and ask for updates, I never seem to get them. I've been given the brush off once again with, "We don't know what the problem is, but we're working on it" and when I called back, the response was, "Oh, the plumber hasn't called me back".
Do I have a right as a tenant to check into a hotel and deduct the cost from my rent? And is there anyone I can complain to about this? I would assume that under local housing codes hot water is a requirement!
Sorry for the long post. All replies are appreciated.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

In New York State, lack of heat and hot water are called breaches of the Warranty of Habitability. Tenants go to court without attorneys for these complaints and the clerks are very helpful.

Before you take hotel rooms, go to court.

Then, inquire here again, if you like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">