• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Hot Water

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cchenot

For 2-1/2 yrs. we have rented live in a single family home in CA as excellent tenants. No disputes with the landlord. Now all of sudden, as this 12 year old home is starting to need repairs, the landlord is trying to pin as many things on us as she can. The latest is that the water heater has sprung a leak and she is blaming us for that. :>(

In any case, her insurance has had a contractor come out to fix the damage that was done by the leaky water heater, but now it has been determined that the whole heater must be replaced. The contractor has pulled out the water heater and is awaiting approval by the landlord to go ahead and buy a new one and install it.

In the meantime, we sit in a house that has no hot water and probably will not for 4-5 days! That's unacceptable to us. What rights do we have in this regard? Can we check ourselves into a hotel until hot water is restored ... and somehow have grounds to be paid back for this expense? Just wondering what our first steps should be. We have tried to contact the landlord by phone, cell phone and e-mail and no reply. It's just been 24 hours. Thanks! Happy New Year!!

C

cchenot

Thanks, but .... what ??? I have no clue as to where to go to find out what "options" are available to me. If I did I probably wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place. Sorry for being such a legal neophyte ... but that's the way it is! Thanks anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">