• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help!!!

What is the name of your state? Virginia

First they spelled my first name wrong on the citation

I was in an accident which I was not my fault on March 11. I was rear ended in Prince William County, VA. I had called the police because the other driver didn’t want to.

The accident was determined to be the other driver’s fault and my car was fixed by her insurance.

On the day of the accident I didn’t have my insurance card and I told the officer that. The officer kept demanding I show him my insurance card. In the end he let me go with no citation. He just stated I know you just re-enabled your insurance and I had nodded yes, but all he said was next have your insurance with you and I headed home. It was 8:30pm.

At approximately 11 pm at night, I hear a banging on my door. I went downstairs to open the door and it was the officer from the accident. He saying how come you didn’t answer the door more quickly or answer his phone just now. I told him I was on the phone.

Anyway, he stated that he would “get in trouble” if he didn’t see my insurance card and that the effective date is the day of the accident. I stated it was and he said others said, “You don’t get insurance the same day. It takes a couple of weeks to get it finalized and active”. I was no, the insurance man confirmed it was today’s date. He wouldn’t believe me but I told him I will show him my insurance card once I receive it, he said ok but now he has to give me a ticket for no insurance because he will get in trouble.

Anyway that night, I got my insurance card and texted the officer for his email address so I could send him my insurance card. I did this from the kindness\honesty of my heart to verify as to what I told him. I sent him the insurance card with the effective as the date of the accident. The next day I called him to see if he got my card and he stated ”yes, why didn’t you show me this last night. “ I told him, I tried to but you didn’t give a chance to get it from my car, you only wanted to give me the summons. Then he got angry with his texts, “ I contacted the your insurance company to confirm if the date was correct. I also called to see what time you got it and they stated you got it after the accident. I am going to court and tell them that and prove it. Good luck, I am off.” He was being very harassing then he didn’t want me to talk to him anymore.

Do I have any defense?

What should I plea?

Do you know what will be the fee if I lose?

What will be the most likely outcome in traffic court?

Can an officer let me go home after an accident and then after 3 hrs come to my home, banging on my door at 11pm at night to give me a summons?

I have a +5 driving record.

Should I file a complaint against the officer?

Can I get this dismissed so it doesn’t affect my record?

Will this affect me getting a job?

PayrollHRGuy

Do I have any defense?
What were you charged with? There should be a statute number on the ticket.
What should I plea?
Unless you want to just pay the fine and take the points it is obviously "not guilty."

Can an officer let me go home after an accident and then after 3 hrs come to my home, banging on my door at 11pm at night to give me a summons?
Of course, because he did.
You are free to do so but I can't imagine what good it will do.

PayrollHRGuy

Then at the beginning of the day and for some time prior you were driving without insurance?

You do know that they can request the time the insurance was bound from the carrier. It may well be in the records the insurance carrier transmits to the state automatically.

We can't tell you how to argue the case without knowing the statute you were charged with violating. You have yet to answer that question.

I'd also suggest you calm down and give us any requested information in one post because I think new members are limited to 5 posts a day and you have used 4.

FlyingRon

I can't understand your post. Did you have insurance at the time of the accident or not? Not whether you had the card, whether you actually were insured? If you are cited for not having insurance, and you were insured, bring that proof to the judge on your court date.
If you didn't have insurance, you're likely going to have problems. Getting insurance AFTER you were caught driving isn't going to work.

zddoodah

Do I have any defense?
. . .
What will be the most likely outcome in traffic court?
. . .
Can I get this dismissed so it doesn’t affect my record?
I don't know. I cannot tell from your very poorly-written post whether you did or did not have insurance at the time of the accident. It sounds like you didn't, but I'm not sure. Also, while I can't rule out the possibility that you were able to obtain insurance sometime between 8:30-11 p.m., it seems unlikely.

What should I plea?
Up to you to decide.

Do you know what will be the fee if I lose?
No.

Rather obviously, anything that did happen can happen. If your intent was to ask whether this was legal, the answer is yes.

I have a +5 driving record.
I have no idea what this means or why you think it might be relevant.

A complaint for what?

Will this affect me getting a job?
Depends on what sort of job you're seeking.

ShyCat

yes. effective for that day. the officer let me go home and 3 hrs later gave me the summons.
Yeah, insurance companies don't issue policies that provide coverage for accidents that happened before you buy the insurance. So it's either time-stamped effective as of date/time of purchase, or your policy explicitly denies coverage for anything prior to that specific date/time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">