• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No insurnace for the other

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunboool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Indiana

I had a car accident last week. The police report said nothing, I had the green light and the other car had a red light, but she said no. The problem is, I have liability insurance but the other car (the one who hit me) did not have any!
What Do I do to get my car fixed? Or totaled?

Thanks

ecmst12

You get nothing unless you sue the other driver and win, since clearly he's not going to admit to running a red light and pay you voluntarily. Your insurance won't pay him either. However your chances of winning a suit are small since it is just your word vs his.

Sunboool

Thanks for the advise.
I was wondering if I can sue the police man who was there and gave me a fake insurance number for the other driver, and sue the officer that he did not mention in the report that I was injured, spent the whole night in the emergency and I have report from the hospital proving that.
I think the officer was being racist, because the other car driver was white American like the officer, and I am not related to the same race.
What is your advise? And what should I do with my car now?
Thanks a lot for the help I really appreciated it.
:)

ecmst12

Not at all. The police officer did not know that the insurance info was fake, and what's in the police report or not is irrelevent.

Sunboool

Thanks for the reply.

Now, what is your advise? Should I just pick my car from the junk and take care of my own car? or should I call a lawyer and sue the other driver to pay for my car?

Thanks again

ecmst12

If your car was worth any significant amount of money, you should have had better coverage. If you can PROVE he ran the red light and you didn't, go ahead and sue. You don't need a lawyer for small claims court.

Sunboool

Thanks for the advise.
One last question, please, Shall I take my car and do nothing to the other party? or I will be in trouble if I toke my car and fixed it or sell it?

Thanks again

justalayman

don't forget to file the yellow form with the state or your license will be suspended.

I cannot remember the title number of the form but the officer should have given you one. If not, contact you insurance company since they will have to sign it anyway. They generally have these forms avaiable.

Sunboool

don't forget to file the yellow form with the state or your license will be suspended.

I cannot remember the title number of the form but the officer should have given you one. If not, contact you insurance company since they will have to sign it anyway. They generally have these forms avaiable.
Why do I have to fill out the form?

justalayman

to prove you had insurance at the time of the accident. If you do not file the form within 10 days of the accident, the BMV will suspend your license.

Sunboool

Thanks for the reply.
I think my insurance did, because I contacted them after the accident and gave them the police report also.
I think based on all the advises I had from "FreeAdvise", I will pick up my car and take care of it by my self and save my self the troubles of going after the other party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">