• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teriberry2

What is the name of your state? New York
I am renting a house--moved in January. The landlady said we could have a one year lease, but she never got around to having us sign the paper: therefore, I do not have a lease. I am in the process of purchasing my own house. I will probably be closing this month (hopefully) and moving out in October. Can I tell the landlady to use my security deposit as October's rent? I made many improvements to the home: refinished wooden floors, regrouted the bathroom tiles, put blinds on all of the windows, installed new lineoleum in kitchen, fixed plumbing leak in kitchen and bathroom, installed additional electrical outlets and more. Therefore, the condition of the house is much better now than when I moved in.

FarmerJ

Take pics then of the unit when its cleaned and empty, even though you did all that work on the unit UNLESS your Written lease or any other Written agreement says that you are to get $ back for those repairs you wont get the money back and you might not be allowed by the LL to use deposit as last months rent so budget for having to pay it.

teriberry2

I am not looking for reimbursement for the improvements, but I do want to use the security deposit as the last months rent. If I pay the last month's rent as usual, aren't I suppose to get the security deposit back when I leave, if nothing was damaged? I don't have a lease or any written contract.

HomeGuru

teriberry2 said:
I am not looking for reimbursement for the improvements, but I do want to use the security deposit as the last months rent. If I pay the last month's rent as usual, aren't I suppose to get the security deposit back when I leave, if nothing was damaged? I don't have a lease or any written contract.

**A: read the law, it is clear as to what the deposit can be used for and last months rent is not on the list.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">