• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no lights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cracker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?FL

Is not having electricity in a home and knowing the parents and children are stealing from people in a neighborhood and school grounds
for a call to DCF?

And if so, what responsibility does a school have to call if knowing these facts and more?

Just Blue

Is not having electricity in a home and knowing the parents and children are stealing from people in a neighborhood and school grounds
for a call to DCF?

And if so, what responsibility does a school have to call if knowing these facts and more?
This is not a DV issue. Criminal law forum is better for this question.

Gracie3787

for a call to DCF?

In most cases not having electricity is not abuse or neglect. It just depends on the individual circumstances. I once had a neighbor who had an 11 yr old daughter, thier electricity was turned off for non payment. Another neighbor thought it was abuse and a report was filed with DCF. My neighbor was able to cook on a camp stove, heat with a fireplace, kept food cold in an ice chest, and heated water for bathing on the fireplace. When DCF investigated they determined that there was no neglect or abuse because all of the child's needs were being met without electricity.

The situation with stealing is something else though. The person/persons who have been victims of theft should report the crime to the police.

The school personnel can report to the police or DCF if they believe that any neglect, abuse or crime has been committed.

justalayman

Is not having electricity in a home grounds
for a call to DCF?

?
if that were the case, I know a lot of Amish folks that are due for a visit. Electricity is not an essential unless it is required for heating use and heat is needed in the house. Then there would be a problem.

LdiJ

if that were the case, I know a lot of Amish folks that are due for a visit. Electricity is not an essential unless it is required for heating use and heat is needed in the house. Then there would be a problem.
I agree. I have known water to be an issue when there is not a pump on the property to provide water or other means of providing clean water, but electricity can certainly be an option.

Heck, my entire neighborhood was without electricity for almost a week a few years ago (and boy was it a royal pain in the you know where)...but we all managed. We cooked on our gas or charcoal grills, bought ice to keep our fridges and freezers cold and used all kinds of methods for lighting. We didn't have to deal with heat because it was summer, but it was miserable without AC.

CPS certainly doesn't care when its whole neighborhoods of children involved. Its hypocritical for it to be an issue when its one family...unless its not being managed well.

justalayman

Heck, my entire neighborhood was without electricity for almost a week a few years ago (and boy was it a royal pain in the you know where)...but we all managed. We cooked on our gas or charcoal grills, bought ice to keep our fridges and freezers cold and used all kinds of methods for lighting. We didn't have to deal with heat because it was summer, but it was miserable without AC.

I'm betting a tornado. Am I right?

I live just north of the In/Mi border. We had some twisters a few years ago. I was without power for 5 days. The right next door neighbor, only 3. Sucks to be the end of the branch sometimes.

cracker

Yeah, and I went 14 days without power or a way to get to the store during a blizzard in the mountains of NC in 1993 and those are some of my fondest and most enjoyable memories. However, had I been living in southern FL for 6 months without electiricity in the dead of summer, cooking on kreosote soaked boards stolen from the construction sight next door, I may not have enjoyed it so much.

LdiJ

I'm betting a tornado. Am I right?

I live just north of the In/Mi border. We had some twisters a few years ago. I was without power for 5 days. The right next door neighbor, only 3. Sucks to be the end of the branch sometimes.
Yep...it was a tornado. The tornado missed us but all of the downed tree branches messed up the power for a LONG time.

As a result, the power company in our county is now required to trim trees yearly, if those trees may interfere with power.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">