• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No longer a vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JadedEchoes

A few month's ago a friend and I talked about planning a group vacation. One girl was booking everything and letting us know a rough estimate of how much things would run so that we could pay her for our share. There was never a final amount given or agreed upon, just an idea of what some things on the trip would run. I was unable to go on the trip and offered to still help with some of the expenses, I just needed to know how much. She was upset that I was unable to go and said she hoped I was paying for some of my expenses because she was counting on my half. I offered to pay back what I could, but I've never received an amount to pay back, nor have I heard from her. What happens now? Is this a legally binding contract? Can I be taken to court, even though I acknowledged paying towards the expenses? I'm worried and would just like a little clarification. We're in two different states and I do want to pay her back for the expenses she paid for. What happens if she doesn't give me an amount? Thank you in advance for your help!

Just Blue

A few month's ago a friend and I talked about planning a group vacation. One girl was booking everything and letting us know a rough estimate of how much things would run so that we could pay her for our share. There was never a final amount given or agreed upon, just an idea of what some things on the trip would run. I was unable to go on the trip and offered to still help with some of the expenses, I just needed to know how much. She was upset that I was unable to go and said she hoped I was paying for some of my expenses because she was counting on my half. I offered to pay back what I could, but I've never received an amount to pay back, nor have I heard from her. What happens now? Is this a legally binding contract? Can I be taken to court, even though I acknowledged paying towards the expenses? I'm worried and would just like a little clarification. We're in two different states and I do want to pay her back for the expenses she paid for. What happens if she doesn't give me an amount? Thank you in advance for your help!
What US State are you located in?

LdiJ

I bet that, if she might be considering a lawsuit, she wouldn't go that route if you were proactive about contacting her to make arrangements to get the money to her.
I don't see where there is enough information here to indicate a viable contract. No final price was ever set or given. There was no meeting of the minds regarding the total costs of the group vacation. I also don't agree that the onus is on the OP. At this point, the idea of the group vacation may have even been abandoned.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Who said anything about a contract?

ETA: Legally, I would agree that the onus is on the other party to request the money. Diplomatically, I would suggest the opposite.

LdiJ

Who said anything about a contract?
You implied one when you mentioned a lawsuit.

ETA: Legally, I would agree that the onus is on the other party to request the money. Diplomatically, I would suggest the opposite.
Unless the vacation plans had progressed to the place where final plans had been agreed upon and non-refundable money had been put down, I would not agree with you even on a diplomatic level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">