• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Love For Patients Seeking Short-term Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

How can I receive my short term disability benefits?

I was recently diagnosed with Vestibular Migraines by the neurologist. Some years ago I was diagnosed with vertigo by my PCP. I kept getting headaches at work but ignored them as usual. I fell at work in front of a Sr. Manager when I was standing in place dizzy. I have been denied twice by Cigna Insurance for benefits. I have not received any paymemts from Cigna at all. The doctors and Cigna are going back and forth delaying time for me to return back to work. Not giving me s clear and concise answer. Not to mention they will not write me back to work nor write me an extension to stay out of work, this I do not underatand. I have been to all the doctors appointments and have submitted every piece of information Cigna has asked for. Now they are asking me to undergo a physical therapy evaluation for Occupational Therapy Evaluation. I had two done which I had struggled to complete. The third evaluation was done and completed as much as I can before passing out. The first two evaluations weren't enough information to submit to Cigna which could not diagnosed me and to return to the PCP who will send another referral for the evaluation. 10/1/18 - still no referral for evaluation. No payments from Cigna....no payments from work. History 6/16/18 - sick at work, doctor wrote me out of work until 9/8/18 7/11/18 - Short term disability benefits starts. 8/10/18 - Claim denied 8/10/18 - Appeal 8/13/18 - Appeal Rep Assigned 9/1/18 - Long term disability status 9/10/18 - Appeal denied 10/1/18 - Called PCP Office - No response...left multiple messages...no return call from doctors, nurses or office manager. No one will write letter or respond to me. 10/4/18 - No referral for therapy, no payment from cigna, no payroll from work 10/9/18 - Must respond to Appeal Denial Letter by this date Entire month of September doctors have sent me back and forth pointing the finger at each other as to who is carrying for me and who should write the note to work and cigna. So now i'm stuck in limbo and don't know what to do and whom to ask. It is now November 9th and still no response from Cigna, doctors or employer in regards to my status. I have lost my valuables, career and health insurance due to no finances and lack of medical figure cooperation. What is there to do?....5 months and counting. By the grace of God....I'm still here.

PayrollHRGuy

You didn't answer the question about what state you are in.

Also, I understand that you are trying to get disability payments from Cigna. What isn't clear is why you can't go back to work and what Cigna has to do with you not going back to work.

State: NC

PCP doctor will not write note for my return to work. I do not know why... that's why I am seeking for assistance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

PCP doctor will not write note for my return to work. I do not know why... that's why I am seeking for assistance.
What did the PCP say was the reason for not writing the note?

EDIT: If you can't get a response through other means, your best bet may be to go there in person.

PayrollHRGuy

That has nothing to do with Cigna then and one would assume that the Dr doesn't feel it would be in your best interest medically to work. But have you asked your PCP why you can't be released to work?

Last edited:
Actually...According to my job, the local government agency, I needed to go through a series of three occupational therapy evaluations. Two of which I failed. Third one completed in November. Did not know at the time in August I had to do three of them.

EDIT: If you can't get a response through other means, your best bet may be to go there in person.
I have done so in which the PCP office had expedited the process for the third evaluation. But still unable to return to work or do any work due to bright lights from florescent lights, dizziness and vomiting, sometimes I pass out.

PayrollHRGuy

Actually...According to my job, the local government agency, I needed to go through a series of three occupational therapy evaluations. Two of which I failed. Third one completed in November. Did not know at the time in August I had to do three of them.
OK, then that is why you aren't being released to work. You are going to likely have to pass one of them before your employer allows you to go back to work.

What is the reason Cigna has refused S T disability?

Waiting on the evaluation which I did send in. Hopefully the information on the evaluation will help to start the claim from July, 2018.

PayrollHRGuy

I really, at this point, see what question you may have.

You know why you haven't been released to work.
You know why you aren't getting disability.

You knew both of these things before you posted your first post. Is there a question you haven't asked yet.

PayrollHRGuy

No, I don't know anyone that has been granted SSI for that issue. But I don't know a people that have been granted SSI for lots of problems that I'm pretty sure would be covered.

Yes,
Do you know if anyone has received or been granted SSI for Vestibular Migraines and Vertigo?

I guess I was looking for understanding of the situation. My brain moves so fast, information gets scrambled. My intentions are not to waste anyone's time but to get clarity on the process and length of time. Thank you

Do you know if anyone has received or been granted SSI for Vestibular Migraines and Vertigo?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">