• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no money??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dodger74

What is the name of your state? Nebraska In my dad's will it says his life insurance proceeds are supposed to go into a trust fund account for myself and my step siblings, the accounts to be controlled by my step mother. My step mom claims that my dads policy "ran out" before he died and there is no money. Meanwhile my stepmom and step siblings are living a good life with no jobs. Is there a way to find out what if any monies an insurance policy paid out??

Litigation!

dodger74 said:
What is the name of your state? Nebraska In my dad's will it says his life insurance proceeds are supposed to go into a trust fund account for myself and my step siblings, the accounts to be controlled by my step mother. My step mom claims that my dads policy "ran out" before he died and there is no money. Meanwhile my stepmom and step siblings are living a good life with no jobs. Is there a way to find out what if any monies an insurance policy paid out??

My response:

Your stepmom received the money. That's because she was named as the beneficiary; and, despite what the Will says, she doesn't have to give you any of the money. That's because, and again despite the Will, the money immediately became hers at the moment of Dad's death. The life insurance policy, by law, sidesteps Dad's Estate; i.e., He never had control of that money because he named her as Beneficiary. It would have worked IF he had named the Estate as the Beneficiary - - but, he didn't.

IAAL

Betty

If there was a life ins. policy in force at the time of your Dad's death, the insurance co. would pay the proceeds to the named beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">