• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no non-compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KP72

Live in NJ, My company's HQ is in GA.

I work for a small private consulting firm and never signed a non-compete agreement. At this company I have mainly worked for 1 client. I am considering leaving my company and want to continue to do work with my existing client as an independent consultant. The follow-on work that I would most likely do as an independent would technically be considered a new project, but is directly related to the work I am currently doing. Are there any legal ramifications for this?

Thanks,
-- KP

BelizeBreeze

How the heck should we know?

Listen, if you work for a reputable consulting firm then you signed a contract. Take it out and read it. You don't have to sign a separate non-compete to be held to the terms of the contract.

And if I don't miss my guess, you will be limited in terms of for whom you can work after leaving the consulting firm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">