• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

“No Operators License” Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DerekM123

Good evening guys! I’m currently stationed in Virginia, I got pulled over for my tail light being out and got a fix it ticket, but on TOP of that the cop told me that I didn’t hold a “valid operators license” in Virginia, but my license is out of state (Michigan) the officer said it isn’t valid in their system?

Called the Michigan DMV and it isn’t suspended at all! What would the process be to fix this. I have to appear on March 4th in a traffic court for both violations, kinda freaking out on what to do about it

TigerD

Relax. Show up to court with your valid driver's license and proof of repair (which could be the receipt for the replacement light bulb or for the mechanic).

DerekM123

Relax. Show up to court with your valid driver's license and proof of repair (which could be the receipt for the replacement light bulb or for the mechanic).
Thanks! But I saw Virginia can reserve the right to revoke your license if they deem fit, but I have no other violations, was just worried that I somehow lost privilege to drive in Virginia, but this is my first issue in Virginia.

TigerD

Thanks! But I saw Virginia can reserve the right to revoke your license if they deem fit, but I have no other violations, was just worried that I somehow lost privilege to drive in Virginia, but this is my first issue in Virginia.
Okay, then if you feel you need to, visit a local traffic attorney.

TD

adjusterjack

When I was stationed in Georgia (permanent party) I had to get a Georgia driver license. Maybe the problem is that you need a Virginia driver license while you are stationed in Virginia. I don't know that for sure but it's a possibility that you should check on. Your base's JAG office might know. Or the local DMV office. Do you have Virginia plates on your car?

If that's not the case, then you'll need some sort of official certified document from Michigan saying that your driver license is valid from-to.

DerekM123

Yeah! I thought it was not having a VA license. But active military aren’t required to have a Virginia License if stationed here. Just gonna take it to court and see what happens. My license is valid in Michigan.

FlyingRon

Yes, confirm first that the license is valid and not suspended for some administrative issue (failure to pay a ticket, apparent lapse of insurance). If Michigan says it's good and you have military ID, the judge should certainly dismiss that part. If not, the judge is obliged to tell you that NOL is a CRIME in Virginia and advise you that you should consider getting a lawyer. Take the hint.

Defective equipment at worst is a fine in Virginia. It never carries points. The court has the discretion (and nearly always does) dismiss the ticket if you bring proof of correction if you present such on or before the court date.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Kind of like that little card with his photo on it?
The little card with his photo on it only shows that it was valid when it was issued. The OP needs to prove that it was valid when s/he was cited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">