• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no order but liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

My daughter separated from her husband and there was no order set for child support. They have one child together. She was asking him to pay for the daycare so that she could work. He started to do so but then backed off and has not paid in the past three months. She decided to go to the DA's office to get help. They take a long time to start collecting. They just went to court to get their divorce settled (she got full legal custody and he has visitation rights). They could not do anything about child support since she opened a case with the DA's office. His he still legally liable to pay? He says no since there is nothing in writing.


Senior Member
not until it's in writing, but he will probably be ordered to pay from the time that she filed, I know that does not help her right now, but that's what happens a lot.


Senior Member
no if there was no court order for that amount, a verbal agreement will not be upheld. she will get back child support from the day she filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential