• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No posted signs when parked in evening; signs installed overnight/next morning - ticketed/towed by Noon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kajeki_NYC

New York City:
On a Tuesday evening at 9pm, I parked on 47th st between 9th and 10th Ave, where all the street parking signs were removed. Cars were parked on both sides of the road.
When I checked for the car the next afternoon at lunch, the car had been towed (at 12:06pm) and new "No Parking" signs had been installed - perhaps overnight or that morning, I need to call DOT to confirm.

I took pictures when I parked of the missing signs on the block. Of course I'm going to fight this ticket but, critical thinkers, do I have a fighting chance of beating this ticket? I've noted some good defenses.
I was parking a Georgia State license plate so a No posted sign defense might be strong.

Thanks for your help and even the hecklers ;)
_______
Some logic behind my defense after perusing this site and others:
It is for the very reason that ignorance of the law is not a defense that the very integrity of our freedom as citizens requires fair warning of the law before we may be held accountable and punished under its commands. (Lanzetta v. New Jersey (1939), 306 U.S. 451, 453) As the U.S. Supreme Court more eloquently expressed in Grayned (Grayned v. City of Rockford (1972), 408 U.S. 104, 108) :

because we assume that man is free to steer between lawful and unlawful conduct, we insist that laws give the person of ordinary intelligence a reasonable opportunity to know what is prohibited, so that he may act accordingly.

the City did not meet its burden by providing you adequate notice on its parking ordinance as required under the Vehicle Code and under due process requirements. Challenge the weight of evidence supporting that the lack of signs on the street provide ineffective warning.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was parking a Georgia State license plate so a No posted sign defense might be strong.
Why is that? Makes no sense to me.

Just curious if you actually live in NYC.

Some logic behind my defense after perusing this site and others:
I won't even address all this "stuff" you posted here.

So you took pictures of "missing signs"? How does that work?

What did you find out from DOT?

FlyingRon

Understand that the parking restrictions do not reflect a change in law.

I'm not sure why you think either of the cases you cite has any bearing here. Both deal with statutory vagueness (and some first amendment rights) which I'm failing to see how it applies here.

I have no clue what you are talking about. THere's nothing called the "Vehicle Code" in either NY state or city law. Some details would be nice. Google Street view (and the NY parking database) show plenty of parking restriction signs. Are you saying these were additional temporary signs? Let me clue you in on NY city life (as well as many other cities). It's never a good idea to leave your car parked for multiple days without checking on such things. I can almost bet that things were posted at least 24 hours before you were towed.

I don't understand why you think those illegally displaying foreign plates should be allowed to violate the parking rules.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
New York City:

I took pictures when I parked of the missing signs on the block. Of course I'm going to fight this ticket but, critical thinkers, do I have a fighting chance of beating this ticket? I've noted some good defenses.

Thanks for your help and even the hecklers ;)
_______
Or, if you are not a tourist and actually live in NY, that "defense" could add to your woes. Because, you know, you're supposed to change over your registration in a timely fashion.

I am also surprised that you just "happened" to take pictures of the "missing signs". That would sort of imply that you knew that signs should be there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">