• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NO RENTAL AGREEMENT!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

red7

I have rented a duplex in Ohio for about a year and a half now. At the time I was shopping for an apartment, I had had no formal rental experience and was relieved that it was an informal agreement -- no credit check, no lease. Now, however, I see the error of my ways.
I have been considering renting a whole house in the near future, but I am not financialy prepared to make a move immediately. Now my landlord is telling me I have three days before he begins eviction proceedings! What rights do I have?
My boyfriend recently moved in with me to help me cook, take care of the cat, etc. (I work two full-time jobs.) The landlord was aware that he was staying with me on the weekends but not that he had moved in completely until a few days ago. All of a sudden this evening, the landlord told me he has to leave or I will be evicted. Apparently, my boyfriend somehow, without ever interacting with her, "intimidated" the landlord's sister who was staying upstairs, rent-free, between tenants...

ALawyer

Absent a lease you are a month to month tenant. The landlord could terminate it on 30 days notice and then evict you, absent a local housing ordinance, or illegal discrimination (race, age, etc.)

But check with your town or county authorities.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Generally, the LL must give you some sort of written notice, and then legal proceedings must be commenced. It can't be done verbally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">