• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No response to Diminished Value Claim filed with with United States Post Office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

radeksgrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was hit by a United States Post Office truck, that driver was cited and deemed at fault for the accident. I filed a claim through my car insurance, GEICO, since trying to deal with the Post Office Claims Dept was taking too long and I wanted to get the repairs started on my vehicle. GEICO initially paid for my car repairs and will be getting their money back from USPS. I was sent a reimbursement check for my insurance deductible directly from USPS Claims Dept (although I haven't cashed it yet). I thought GEICO was handling all aspects of my claim, but I recently learned that I have to handle the Diminished Value Claim directly with the USPS Claims Dept. Before I decided to file this claim through GEICO, I had submitted all required claim-related paperwork to the USPS, including a claim for Diminished Value (I estimated it to be 10% of the vehicle’s pre-accident value). The check that USPS recently sent me was only for the deductible and did not include any amount for the diminished value claim. I’m not planning to cash the check at this point because that would release the USPS from any other liability. Based on the difficulty I had in trying to deal with the USPS Claims Office directly (the claims coordinator never answers his phone and refuses to communicate via email), I’m expecting difficulty in trying to resolve this diminished value claim. I’ve heard that you cannot sue the post office in small claims court, and that suing them in federal court is not worth the hassle. Can I sue the driver of this postal truck in small claims court for the diminished value claim (around $750)? My car is 8 years old but is in excellent condition and had never been in an accident prior to being hit by the USPS truck.

ecmst12

Your estimation isn't going to matter at all. You'd need some expert assessment proving the diminished value and even then, don't hold your breath. You can go ahead and cash the deductible check though, that won't release them from anything if you haven't actually signed a release.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">