• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no return of security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shoegirl

Should I sue? no return of security

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ I moved out of my apartment in July. I sent my landlord an email yesterday 12/02/08 asking where my deposit was since I had heard nothing. He left me a terse voicemail telling me to call him. Not wanting him to talk circles around me I emailed him and informed him that I wanted all conversations to be via reg. or email. He sent back Sorry to say no return of deposit. i then emailed him stating I wanted a list of the supposed reasons why. I stated this was because legally he should have sent me a notice in 30 days. I informed him I would be filing suit. Yes the rug was no good but it was old when I moved in 10 years ago. Yes the painting in the livingroom wasn't the best. But again he did nothing. I complained constantly about the upstairs tenants and the noise..doors being left unlocked and open and was told it was my problem not his.
What do I do? I didn't take pictures as I thought he would do the right thing. I do however have witnesses that helped me move out. Saying the apartment was in good shape and broom clean as required by law.

I just got the list from my landlord.. He claims my cats sprayed all over the rugs and that they had to be removed and the flooring cleaned before putting new rugs down. He claimed that he sent me a letter on 8/28 (which would have been within 30 days) by USPS mail. I recieved no such letter. There were other minor infractions but he claims I didn't vaccumn enough and smoking ruined all the wall. He also claimed the stickers in the bath tub ruined the old tub. (they were there when I moved in) He complained that I put the keys in an envelope in the neighbors mail slot. It is his in-law apart and thats where I always put the rent!! I still maintain that he is a liar and that he should have notified me by certified or return receipt mail within the 30 days. He said my 883 security didn't cover the damages. After 10 years shouldn't there have been more than 83 dollars interest on my security? I think I need a lawyer

Last edited:

shoegirl

I of course think he is worse than an idiot. I let his sister stay with me and she gave me money towards bills but it was less than 1/3 of everything combined. It was so bad with the upstairs neighbors the I stopped sleeping there in Sept of 2007 but only moved out july of 2008. Which also means I didn't live there for those months. So how bad could everything have been? He wouldn't even shovel during snow storms. He would call my apartment ranting that we better get it done because he would get a ticket from the town if we didn't. He lived rent free at the Church around the corner and they had plows that cleaned up. Even when his in laws lived upstairs he didn't clean up after storms. He is really just a sneak and a liar.He never fixed anything he said he would and he expected me to do everything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy in small claims court. Review your state's laws, as you may be entitled to MORE than your deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">