• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NO TITLE FOR TRADE IN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

To avoid that problem, Menfla can sign title to the car to his ex directly and not sign any POA.
Which would of course be in line with burning his exwife, she'd have to pay to re title it and that would also take time.

quincy

Which would of course be in line with burning his exwife, she'd have to pay to re title it and that would also take time.
I personally think signing the POA is easiest and best but Menfla can always check on liens prior to signing or, as you suggested, sign an agreement with his ex prior to signing.

xylene

I personally think signing the POA is easiest and best but Menfla can always check on liens prior to signing.
I agree, but I'm also in favor having people asking me for a favor making sure I can't be burned, and also I don't like car dealers, especially not ones who play loose... they should have checked this before any trade-in acceptance. Make them eat it if there is a deficiency.

xylene

I don't like car dealers who are like "Ooops, :eek: legally that wasn't your car to sell but we've already financed & sold you another car... and oh were not even sure about the liens."

quincy

I agree, but I'm also in favor having people asking me for a favor making sure I can't be burned, and also I don't like car dealers, especially not ones who play loose... they should have checked this before any trade-in acceptance. Make them eat it if there is a deficiency.
I have rarely been disappointed in the people I have met or the companies I have dealt with so I still retain faith in the inherent goodness of others.

Although I don't consider myself naive, I guess there is a little Pollyanna in me.

Last edited:

LdiJ

To avoid that problem, Menfla can sign title to the car to his ex directly and not sign any POA.
I kind of know why the ex didn't approach him directly about signing off on the title. There have been MANY times where I have acted as "Switzerland" when there have been very bitter divorces or family squabbles preventing something getting accomplished on a tax return. It may be that the dealer in the instance felt it would work better if they played "Switzerland" in this instance. It obviously isn't working well considering the OP's attitude but hopefully the OP will calm down and not be foolish.

LdiJ

I see no apparent good reason why the matter cannot be resolved without rancor.
Then I do not think you have ever seen how unreasonable people can really get when a divorce is truly bitter. I have seen people never get over their bitterness, ever. You are right though, there is no apparent GOOD reason why the matter cannot be resolved without rancor, but there may be a BAD reason if the OP cannot take ahold of himself.

quincy

In fairness to Menfla, his ex should have asked for the title (or signing of the title) prior to her purchase of the new car. The fact that the title had not been signed over to her as they both assumed it was would have been discovered and remedied then, avoiding the need for a dealership POA.

But, it is what it is. With luck, the title-signing can be accomplished now without difficulty or drama.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">