• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No water for 68 days please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wickedsweetness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In California is it legal for a municipal ulitilities department to terminate water service without notice and now won't let me turn it on in my name because they say I don't have a valid lease agreement because the lease I have was from the previous owners before the home was bought at a foreclosure auction. And new owners won't give me a new lease. Please does anyone have any ideas on what I can do??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that your problem has more to do with the failure (by somebody) to pay a prior amount due at that property.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In California is it legal for a municipal ulitilities department to terminate water service without notice and now won't let me turn it on in my name because they say I don't have a valid lease agreement because the lease I have was from the previous owners before the home was bought at a foreclosure auction. And new owners won't give me a new lease. Please does anyone have any ideas on what I can do??
Yes it is legal, and a very effective tool for getting deadbeats to pay their bill.
Where were you when the foreclosure was taking place?
You MAY have had certain rights afforded to you in certain situations such as yours then,
but I think it is too late now.

Why are you trying to get utilities turned on at place where you do not live?
The water department is not asking you to pay the back balance, just show them a lease.. that you can't get.

There is no law I Ca. that will force a landlord to rent to you just because the house was foreclosed on.
You need to find somewhere else to live.
Good luck.

..__________________
~ Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity
and I'm not sure about the universe. ~ Albert Einstein

Last edited:

Wickedsweetness

Yes it is legal, and a very effective tool for getting deadbeats to pay their bill.
Where were you when the foreclosure was taking place?
You MAY have had certain rights afforded to you in certain situations such as yours then,
but I think it is too late now.

Why are you trying to get utilities turned on at place where you do not live?
The water department is not asking you to pay the back balance, just show them a lease.. that you can't get.

There is no law I Ca. that will force a landlord to rent to you just because the house was foreclosed on.
You need to find somewhere else to live.
Good luck.

..__________________
~ Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity
and I'm not sure about the universe. ~ Albert Einstein
Will that's where your very wrong in California tenants of foreclosures do have rights , the new owners after buying a hone at a foreclosure auction must honor the original lease that the previous owners agreed to. Unless the new owners plan to live in the home themselves. Then the tenant must be giving a 30-day vacate order. So do some more research before you post rude uneducated posts. Federal and civil laws

CdwJava

So, you are saying that the water company never made contact in any way? They did not mail the occupant any notice? They did not place a notice on the door or other part of the residence indicating imminent shutoff? They did not notify the prior owner or person who was paying the bill that the water was shut off? I have seen many such shutoffs and there is usually ample notice in a number of different ways and the shutoff for nonpayment usually goes on for a few months.

Who was responsible for paying the water bill before the transfer at auction?

It sounds like your issue is with the new owners. You might also consider moving. Unless, of course, it is worth it to you to hire an attorney and go to court merely to be served a 30 day notice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP hasn't been very forthcoming about the situation. I'd bet that s/he's been living with another tenant and that other tenant hasn't paid the utility bill. As an end-run, the OP tried to start utilities in his/her name...but the utility company is on to that game.

CdwJava

Yeah, I have seen a great many scenarios like this and in CA the landlord is usually screwed ... but, water doesn't get shut off over night, and I suspect you are right that the OP has been living off of someone else's largesse and the free ride is now over. It takes a very long time to cut off water, and the landlord or previous payer is most often on the hook until it IS cut off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">