• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will and no relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anwest29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

If a parent dies, has no will and no other livings relatives, or spouse, than 2 children (one is a minor, one is not) will financial debt then belong to the children?

The parent has NO assets to speak off but a HIGH amount debt. The children do not have any relationship with their parent and there has been no contact between them for several years.

I have done some research on the internet but have not yet contacted an attorney. That is my next step. I thought I would ask here first.

Dandy Don

No, the children can not be held responsible under any circumstances. The ESTATE is responsible for the debt and if there is no estate, the creditors will have to remain unpaid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...as you were told in your OTHER thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/adoption-34/adoption-adult-453334.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">