• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will, but Had WIshes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
From: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/continued-from-no-will.652859/

`My daughter, (a minor) and another grandson are the only heirs to their grandfather's estate. There is no will, but the grandfather's nephew gave me a key to his home. He has the deeds to the grandfather's property as well. When the grandson came into town, he came to the home and asked me for a key to it, and like a dumbass I gave him one thinking it was the right thing to do since he is an heir also but as soon as I left the home, he changed the locks on the doors. Now I can't get in and he won't return my calls. I don't know what to do. Should I call the police, or get a lawyer first?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Did you read through any of the posts responding to this, Allison?

#12, Zigner: Who is the administrator of the estate?

#13, justalayman: Has anybody actually opened probate? If. not, nobody has legal authority to do anything with the property. Along with that, nobody has the authority to objecting to anybody doing anything with the property.

If probate has been opened, whoever appointed as the administrator has the authority to deal with the property

Because if nobody has opened probate, and there is no executor... Well, somebody needs to do something to start that process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">