• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no will, separated, and living with someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennalee73

What is the name of your state? Nevada
My future father-in-law has been married since 1959. Since approxiamtely 1989 he has been living with someone else. He is still married and does not want to get divorced and refuses to make out a will. What will happen to his business and to his mobile home after he passes away? Will his girlfriend be entitled to anything? Or will his wife and sons receive everything?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jennalee73 said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada
My future father-in-law has been married since 1959. Since approxiamtely 1989 he has been living with someone else. He is still married and does not want to get divorced and refuses to make out a will. What will happen to his business and to his mobile home after he passes away? Will his girlfriend be entitled to anything? Or will his wife and sons receive everything?
My response:

Without a Will, the State will divide up everything he owns pursuant to its "Intestate" laws. That means, he's leaving it up to the State of Nevada to give away everything he owns, that's in his name, when he dies. If he dies "Intestate" (without a Will), his current wife and his children will take from his Estate.

His "girlfriend" will NOT be entitled to anything - - unless it's in her name. The girlfriend has no protections under the law.

However, if he has a Will, he can specifically bequeath (give) certain property to certain persons, and specifically state that other persons; e.g., his wife, shall receive nothing.

IAAL

J

jennalee73

Did I do it right this time? I apologize. Okay, here are my questions........... First, if there is no will, how long could the state tie his assets up? If his girlfriend lives n the mobile home and her name is not on the title, can we kick her out? If so, when? Also, will the state shut down his business? One of his sons helps him run the company, but is not on the license. How long could the state keep the business closed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">