• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will, What happens to Me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Water2Moon

What is the name of your state? NY

I live in a 2 family home, that is owned by My Mother. All of the utilities are in my name and my husband's name. The house is soleyin my Mother's name and I recently found out that she has no last will and testament. My question is what will happen to me if she should pass away? She is under the assumption that becasue I am her only child and my father is no longer aive that I will just get the house. Someone else told me it would go to the state of NY. Is this true? should be worried? When I mention a will she gets very upset and tells me there is time. Although she is 72 she is in very good health but I don't want to
take chances and end up on the street.
:(

Dandy Don

Your mother does not really need a will.

Yes, as her only heir you will be the only eligible heir to receive the house after she dies and when you put the estate into probate to get your name officially added to the deed/title as legal heir. You can continue living in the home or sell it if you want to. Whoever told you it would automatically go to the state is wrong, and if you have any questions you can ask a local probate lawyer about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">