• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noise from Neighbours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tucan45

I live in California and moved 5 month ago into a new apartment. I was looking for a quiet place since I work on a late shift. The new Landlady confirmed that this is a quiet place to live. So I signed the contract and moved in. Unfortunately I've soon learned that this was not the case especially what my immediate neighbors concerns. They slamming the doors every time they come and go and running loud up and down the stairs. It starts every day at around 6-7 AM and during the late afternoons to late evenings, often until midnight. I'm very disturbed by this since I work late and sleep at this early hour. I told my landlady and asked her to put a note on the mailboxes, so that everybody can read it and hopefully be more considerate in the future. It did not help at all. I approached the neighbours directly and it seemed they unterstood. Nothing got better. Still the same slamming every morning and evening, sometimes so hard my walls are vibrating. My rent is $725 for a single apartment, very high in consideration. So I'm starting to look again for a new quiet apartment and my question is: Do I have to give my Landlady a 30 day notice in this case? Can she keep my Security Deposit if I do so? What are my rights in this matter since I moved in with other assumptions and was fooled? Is there a place I can go to get rentners advice in the Los Angeles area? Thank you for your help!

L

LL

You didn't say anything about what kind of contract you signed.

T

tucan45

Thanks for your short reply... I will hope to find the information I need in the State Statutes L/T laws.

Fortunately I have a month to month lease.

T

tucan45

That's what I'm planning to do. I want to move.

But if I find an apartment which is available right away I want to move in immediatly. So the question was, do I have to give a 30-day notice, because the reason of moving is all the noise.

I don't want to end up paying double rent and I'm afraid if I move out without a 30-day notice my Landlady will keep my security deposit.

That's why I'm looking for more information to get protection in this matter.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">