• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noisy neighbors - help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjpage

I live in an apartment building in Michigan. A couple with a 2 year old girl moved into the 1 bedroom apartment across the hallway from me about 5 months ago. They just moved here to the US from India. My problem is that they're very noisy and disruptive. I've talked to my apt managers, and they've sent 2 letters over the last few months. The letters have seemed to cut down a little on the constant shouting and the screaming child, but there are still loud sounds coming from their apartment. I don't think they mean to be rude or loud - I think they just don't realize how quiet the rest of the building is compared to their loud family and frequent loud visitors. None of them seem able to talk to each other in a normal tone of voice. They prefer to shout instead. And they often do it in our common hallway. They tend to leave their front door open and use the hallway as if it were theirs.

Now, a new thing has been added to the mix. Three times now, I have come home to find them with their apartment door propped wide open, a very visible, pungent cloud of incense in the hall, and small plates of fire sitting on the carpet outside of their doorway. I asked my best friend about this (she happens to be a Hindu Indian), and she said it's part of a Hindu ritual. She said she's never heard of it happening outside the front door, though. There's also a loud bell that they ring during this ritual, for several minutes at a time. I also hear that bell from inside my apartment, several times a week, when both front doors are closed.

My question is: Since this is a religous ceremony, can they be asked by the apartment managers not to do it? They obviously disabled their smoke detector - is there anything I can do about that? The smoke from the incense makes my whole apartment smell - do I have to put up with that? The apartment managers are not very professional - just young people who come and go every 6 months or so. They don't seem to be willing to communicate with my neighbors unless there's a form letter in their files they can use to do it.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Megan Page

[Edited by mjpage on 11-24-2000 at 02:25 PM]

HomeGuru

These tenants may have cultural differences with the yelling etc. but even so they should not infringe on the rights to quiet enjoyment of the other tenants. As far as the religious rituals, they have every right to exercise their freedom of religion except if a ritual poses a hazard. In other words, the management company can rule that there be no candles that may pose a fire and safety hazard to the building and occupants. It is unlawful to disable a smoke detector.

In summary, there is recourse that the management company could take if they so desire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">