• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bpeter

I recently accepted an offer of employment with a company here where I live (the D.C. area). On the offer letter I received and signed, it noted that signing a non-compete and confidentiality agreement was to be a condition of my employment. I realized on the first day of work that the company was not a good fit. I left after 2 and 1/2 days. I was never paid and never signed the non-compete.

None of this was really an issue until I received an offer last week from a firm that is owned by the main competitor of the previous company. I have accepted the offer of employment, but want to make absolutely sure I won't have any problems since I'm going to work for the original company's competitor.

Can anyone provide any insight? My feeling is that technically I was never an employee since I never was paid. I also don't think they could ever come after me becuase I never actually signed the agreement.

Thanks in advance.

E

Ex HR Guy

My guess is you are okay, but I'd have to spend an hour with you to get a higher level of certainty. It ofter depends if you receved confidential information and will be disclosing that or applying it against the source.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">