• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamastep

What is the name of your state? FL
i have been on my job for 5 years, people are being fired around me almost daily and now my company has composed a non-compete agreement with also states if i quit or was fired, i cannot work for a competitor for at least 1 year. i have not problem with the confidentiality part but the only experience that i have is in the field that i currently work in therefore i wouldn't be able to get a job that pays enough to take care of my wife and 2 kids. is it legal for my job to threaten to fire me or actually fire me if i refuse to sign the agreement?

Beth3

Yes. Absent an employment contract to the contrary, your employer is free to change the terms of your employment, including insisting you sign a non-compete and terminating you if you choose not to. You conversely are free to quit if you no longer care for the terms or conditions of your employment.

(Although I have to say, I almost always think an employer doing this is dirty pool unless the individual has been promoted to a sensitive position. The person has little choice but to sign unless they want to be out of a job pronto.)

Now as to whether the non-compete is actually valid in your State, that depends upon the language of the document and FL case law on the subject. That you will have to consult with an attorney about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">