• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelldiana7

What is the name of your state? florida
I have a friend who worked for a cable company. he quit the company because of harrassing e-mailfrom one of the other employees. He had signed a non-compete form while he was here, but within a week went to work for the competition. His non-compete contract said he could not work for the competition for 3 years after employment. Now he is being sued for 15,000 because he went to work for the competititon. His Pastor at church last saturday approached him with an e-mail that my friends old boss had sent him stating that one of his flock had gone astray. They put my friends name at the top referring the message was about him. The Pastor gave the e-mail to my friend. They are also suing my friends new employer stating that he was giving her information while he worked for them. What can happen to my friend? Will he have to quit his job? Will he have to pay them for damages or a breach of contract?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your question will depend upon the exact wording of the non-compete agreement and your state's laws.

In my state, a non-compete for three years would be unenforceable, but a non-compete for six months or a year would be enforceable. Non-competes are legal in Florida but it *may* be that the terms will be considered too harsh. On the other hand, it might be enforceable as it stands. No one here can tell you.

Your friend needs to have the agreement reviewed by a local attorney familiar with your state regulations.

K

kelldiana7

non- compete agreement

florida
i spoke to my friend and he said that the ageement read that he could not work in the state of florida for 3 years after he left his job with them. i think that that is totally unfair to him. i work with a nursing agency that i also had to sign a non-compete for one year only, which i find to be reasonable. it also stated that i could not work with any patient or hospital that they had gotten me a job with. he is currently working for the competition. where can i find a lawyer who specializes in this kind of law?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">