• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fred.taylor

What is the name of your state? Indiana

About a month ago my former attorney reached out to my former employer asking if I could work for another company that they consider to be a competitor against them as stated in my 2 year non compete contract. In the response I received from them they stated no, listing the reasons why, and I have not pursued the issue further. Today I get an email from my former attorney stating that my former company believes that I am now working for this employer and that they are sending them a letter informing them of my obligations in the contract and that they do not want to be forced into an injunction against both of us. I have since moved on after getting the no answer and do want to pursue this matter further since I feel this issue is now closed.

Since I got this letter I feel that this an act of harassment against me on their part. Further building my potential case against them, about a week ago my former employer looked at all my social media profiles. Nowhere on my profiles do I have my employer listed but it's not with this other company. With all this happening and this letter supposedly being sent to this company do I need to do anything further to protect myself or is this a scare tactic with them trying to fish for any information they can get? If this is considered harassment do I have any recourse against them?

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Take it down a notch. This is nowhere near harassment. It's just a business monitoring somebody who might not comply with the non-compete agreement. Nobody is doing anything wrong or illegal to you so there is no recourse.

And if you don't like your social media profiles being looked at by anybody with a computer, stay off social media.

If you aren't doing anything wrong, ignore it. There's no money in this for you if that's what you are thinking.

quincy

You signed a non-compete with your former employer that restricts you from working for a competing company for two years?

stevesmithag

You can not work with the competitor if you have signed a non compete agreement, You better contact them and give them clear information and if necessary keep all your social profiles private

quincy

You can not work with the competitor if you have signed a non compete agreement, You better contact them and give them clear information and if necessary keep all your social profiles private
What I have bolded above is not necessarily true, at least in the US. I can't speak to its truth in your area of India.

In the US, it depends on the exact terms of the noncompete agreement and if these terms are legally enforceable. The two year restriction on work might not be.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
stevensmithag is from India - the laws in India and America differ considerably in many different ways.

quincy

I understood I need to be 100% sure before answering here. Predictions and previous experiences doesn't count.
Well ... being 100% sure of your answer is always good. :)

But the laws in India don't count here because FreeAdvice is a US law forum.

And commercial links and commercial messages are prohibited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">