• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete Form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb1754

Good Afternoon,

State: New York

I recently got hired to work for a Ticket Broker firm as a 1099 worker and signed a Non-Compete form. After talking with my newly retired parents about my new job they took an interest and would like to pursue Ticket Broking on their own. Would this put me in breach of my Non-Compete form? I would hate for lawyers to one day come after me over this.

On a side note, my Father and I share the same name and his name is also on my bank account.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not having read the terms of the non-compete form, I couldn't say. You might want to try having a local attorney read it.

I'm not sure why you believe the information about your father is relevant, unless you are suggesting some sort of fraud.

rb1754

Thanks for the quick response.

I figured my Father and I sharing the same name is relevant because the name on the tickets will be under whoever purchased them - which is a name we both share.

latigo

Thanks for the quick response.

I figured my Father and I sharing the same name is relevant because the name on the tickets will be under whoever purchased them - which is a name we both share.
Well please figure again. Because the business name IS totally irrelevant! Substance not form reigns.

So if you should become associated with the enterprise in any significant capacity (managerial, proprietary, financially or employment) AND such participation is prohibited by an "enforceable" covenant not to complete the face shown the public would be of no consequence.

Do as cbg wisely suggests. Have your attorney read the covenant and review with you every aspect of your employment with the broker. As your attorney will explain, these covenants are not favored by the courts and to be binding they must meet a number of established standards.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">