• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete Review

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Need some advice. I have a non-compete I asked my former employer if they would review and potentially modify because it is too broad and to limiting which is hurting my ability to gain employment. The CEO agreed to discuss, however, my concern is the meeting that is set up has VP of HR, HT Manager their in-house attorney. My concern is it's just me I am not a lawyer, the non compete is a legal document containing verbiage that I have no clue what it means or what it will limit.

I would like to have my lawyer present to review any proposed or suggested changes Lawyers understand Lawyer lingo. I am concern that my employer will view this negative and take a defensive posture and not want to talk. Any thoughts

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Need some advice. I have a non-compete I asked my former employer if they would review and potentially modify because it is too broad and to limiting which is hurting my ability to gain employment. The CEO agreed to discuss, however, my concern is the meeting that is set up has VP of HR, HT Manager their in-house attorney. My concern is it's just me I am not a lawyer, the non compete is a legal document containing verbiage that I have no clue what it means or what it will limit.

I would like to have my lawyer present to review any proposed or suggested changes Lawyers understand Lawyer lingo. I am concern that my employer will view this negative and take a defensive posture and not want to talk. Any thoughts
What US state?
Have you asked your employer if you can have your attorney present?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">