• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non custodial and welfare benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

youngstepmommy

TX
The Fiance is 100% sure that the biological mother of his daughter is recieving state assistance in his daughters name. Since January 20th my Fiance has been the sole managing conservator of this child, every time he calls the welfare office and inquires if his daughter is receiving benefits they refuse to give him any information. Today one man actually told him that if she ( Mother) is recieving benefits and she is not supposed to that the state will go after HIM to pay it back....What kind of Crud is this? He has custody he has more rights then the mother, he should have access to all records that pertain to her SS#. He has tried many times to fax the Custody papers, email them....no one is interested. He does not want the trying to go after him for what the mother is doing. Any advice on how he can retrieve that information and get his daughters name removed from the state system?

Last edited:

CJane

youngstepmommy said:
Yes he has however they always say they will call him back for more info but never do...He is so frusturated
How often does mom have the kid(s)? It's possible to be the NCP and still qualify for some benefits.

youngstepmommy

Until next September she has her ever other week, then she will only get standard visitation. In the custody paperwork it says that my Fiance has the exclusive right to recieve and give reciept for periodic payments and to hold or dispurse these benefits for the benefit of the child. The issue is that they will not give him information concerning his daughter even though he is the conservator and that they said if she has recieved money then most likely the state will go after him even if he is the sole conservator. She does not work, she does not pay child support ( that is the only way she would sign over custody, she is on housing ( they are removing my Fiance's daughters name ) she still qualifys for that since she does not work, but that her issue. we pay Medical insurance, Daycare costs, and she never pays her half of medical bills. She is getting a free ride because she is lazy and we struggle monthly. Sorry I have gotten away from the main issue...Please help

casa

youngstepmommy said:
Until next September she has her ever other week, then she will only get standard visitation. In the custody paperwork it says that my Fiance has the exclusive right to recieve and give reciept for periodic payments and to hold or dispurse these benefits for the benefit of the child. The issue is that they will not give him information concerning his daughter even though he is the conservator and that they said if she has recieved money then most likely the state will go after him even if he is the sole conservator. She does not work, she does not pay child support ( that is the only way she would sign over custody, she is on housing ( they are removing my Fiance's daughters name ) she still qualifys for that since she does not work, but that her issue. we pay Medical insurance, Daycare costs, and she never pays her half of medical bills. She is getting a free ride because she is lazy and we struggle monthly. Sorry I have gotten away from the main issue...Please help
You are getting upset about a 'maybe' situation. Keep all daycare and medical insurance records. Make sure you have called the fraud line. Have fiance contact the state agency and offer to fax the custody paperwork. IF he is filed against, he will be able to provide proof of his custody status via the court order.

It is entirely possible she is legally receiving benefits until the custody change in September.

youngstepmommy

What do you mean custody change in September ? Custody will stay the same, visitation will change. Also which state agency are you refering to? Thanks

CJane

youngstepmommy said:
What do you mean custody change in September ? Custody will stay the same, visitation will change. Also which state agency are you refering to? Thanks
Custody/visitation are used rather interchangeably. The state agency she's referring to is DCFS or whatever they call the agency that administers food stamps in your area.

casa

youngstepmommy said:
If Mom has the child one week- and Dad has the child one week...then that is the equivalent of joint physical custody. I understand the order reflects that as of Sept. that arrangement will change to Dad having the child each week and Mom having a scheduled visitation for weekends~ So the mother is technically eligible for state aid for the child since she has the child 50% of the time at the moment. Once that changes in September then she will no longer be eligible for those benefits- but still may be eligible for benefits for herself.

Also it appears the Dad waived child support in lieu of her agreeing to custody- so if that is in the court order, then he cannot turn around and file for child support in Sept.

youngstepmommy

Alright I think my questioned has been kinda skewed. My Fiance wants to know ever aspect of his daughters life. He has the right to know if her name is attached to anything and if mother is recieving money on her behalf correct? The state is acting like that is non of his business and he is PO'd. He does not care if she is recieving it for herself that is her business and her choice. His problem is that he was informed that the state would come after him if she was, and we all know the state...Take now ask questions later, and he does not want to hassle, PLUS if they do take then it will be his responsiblity to go after her for the money they took because the state will not pay it back. If she wants to live of the government fine, if that is helping her feed his child when she is with her, again fine, that will all change in September. He does not want child support from her, he would much rather know that his daughter is living with him and getting raised with good moral values etc, and that she learns that she has to work in life and not expect for others to support her ( later in life of course). He just wants information and reassurance that the state will not come after him if she is collecting.

casa

youngstepmommy said:
Alright I think my questioned has been kinda skewed. My Fiance wants to know ever aspect of his daughters life. He has the right to know if her name is attached to anything and if mother is recieving money on her behalf correct? The state is acting like that is non of his business and he is PO'd. He does not care if she is recieving it for herself that is her business and her choice. His problem is that he was informed that the state would come after him if she was, and we all know the state...Take now ask questions later, and he does not want to hassle, PLUS if they do take then it will be his responsiblity to go after her for the money they took because the state will not pay it back. If she wants to live of the government fine, if that is helping her feed his child when she is with her, again fine, that will all change in September. He does not want child support from her, he would much rather know that his daughter is living with him and getting raised with good moral values etc, and that she learns that she has to work in life and not expect for others to support her ( later in life of course). He just wants information and reassurance that the state will not come after him if she is collecting.
He needs to just pay support until the date the court order designates he is to stop. Then stop. Unfortunately no one can give him information re; the mother- that violates her rights.

The state only comes after 'him' if he is not paying child support and the mother is receiving state benefits. As long as he's been paying his child support and can prove it- he's fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">