• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Custodial parent opts to not work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xanadu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

So my money-grubbing ex divorces me and marries some guy 20+ years older than her, who owns his own company. He makes good coin, and she's an Accountant by trade capable of making six figures. We went to court, my lawyer and her lawyer had a golf date that morning and they quickly settled for a paltry $75/week in support.

My question is, why can't I use what her paycheck COULD be when calculating her support payment? She's not unemployed because she can't find a job, she even told my son she wasn't going back to work until he turned 18.

Any suggestions? Murder isn't an option, she's wasted enough of my life already.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

So my money-grubbing ex divorces me and marries some guy 20+ years older than her, who owns his own company. He makes good coin, and she's an Accountant by trade capable of making six figures. We went to court, my lawyer and her lawyer had a golf date that morning and they quickly settled for a paltry $75/week in support.

My question is, why can't I use what her paycheck COULD be when calculating her support payment? She's not unemployed because she can't find a job, she even told my son she wasn't going back to work until he turned 18.

Any suggestions? {*edited in honor of Peaceful Zephyr*} ...she's wasted enough of my life already.
Your attitude is spectacularly distasteful. :(

I suggest you google your state's child support laws and read to find your answer. I also strongly suggest you scale back your bitterness when dealing with real-life judges and/or mediators.

Last edited:

Xanadu

Your attitude is spectacularly distasteful. :(
I hope your previous 12,819 posts were more helpful.

Actually, all things considered I think I have a pretty jovial attitude. It doesn't always shine though as brightly in the written word, though.

I did come across a term called "imputed income", however. Apparently if someone voluntarily ceases working then their potential income can be factored into the equation.

Silverplum

I hope your previous 12,819 posts were more helpful.
I'm sure they were.

The part you disliked was my considered opinion. The rest, which you didn't quote (or take in) was the "helpful" part. And, in my further considered opinion, more than you deserved.

Xanadu said:
Actually, all things considered I think I have a pretty jovial attitude. It doesn't always shine though as brightly in the written word, though.

I did come across a term called "imputed income", however. Apparently if someone voluntarily ceases working then their potential income can be factored into the equation.
There you go. Google is everyone's friend.

Of course, one's attorney would have to motion for such. And it may be too late for your case for this go-round. I don't know: I haven't bothered to research it for you, and feel no inclination to do so.

Zephyr

Xanadu- even though your comment was tongue in cheek and implies you WOULDN'T do what you said...I would remove the last line from your first post...people have had their ex's find their posts on here and use them against them in court....you never want that word and your ex in the same sentence when the legal light comes to shine on you ok

Silverplum

Xanadu- even though your comment was tongue in cheek and implies you WOULDN'T do what you said...I would remove the last line from your first post...people have had their ex's find their posts on here and use them against them in court....you never want that word and your ex in the same sentence when the legal light comes to shine on you ok
I agree, and have edited his quote in my post in your honor, Zeph. ;)

drpepper404

It's called imputed income, in other words she can't quit her job to avoid child support. Though to be frank with you, as a woman, she's likely going to get away with it.

Just Blue

It's called imputed income, in other words she can't quit her job to avoid child support. Though to be frank with you, as a woman, she's likely going to get away with it.
Really?? Please site case law/state statutes for the OP state to back up this comment.

meanyjack

. We went to court, my lawyer and her lawyer had a golf date that morning and they quickly settled for a paltry $75/week in support..
I am going to call BS on this because your lawyer should've consulted you BEFORE agreeing to anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">