• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Custodial Parent seeking advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johnurhen1220

I have a 2 part question any information on either will be greatly appreciated.

Question #1:

My child support order is in Kings County, Brooklyn. I reside in FL and my ex-wife moved to NJ in 2017. I called NYCS to ask if the order must/will stay in Kings County and they said yes unless she (custodial parent) decides to transfer the order to NJ. Is this true?

Question #2:

Both kids are attending college (PT) and they work (PT) in NJ and they are each nearing 21, the oldest in 2020 and youngest in 2021. Does the payment stop automatically when they each turn 21 on their birth date or do I have to initialize the proceeding for it to stop?

Thanks in advance.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
#1. Yes.

#2. When our youngest was approaching 21, I received paperwork from a lawyer my ex retained. I signed and sent it back.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I have a 2 part question any information on either will be greatly appreciated.

Question #1:

My child support order is in Kings County, Brooklyn. I reside in FL and my ex-wife moved to NJ in 2017. I called NYCS to ask if the order must/will stay in Kings County and they said yes unless she (custodial parent) decides to transfer the order to NJ. Is this true?

Question #2:

Both kids are attending college (PT) and they work (PT) in NJ and they are each nearing 21, the oldest in 2020 and youngest in 2021. Does the payment stop automatically when they each turn 21 on their birth date or do I have to initialize the proceeding for it to stop?

Thanks in advance.
Caveat: When the eldest ages out, the cs does not necessarily drop in half.

Source: NYS DCSE Child Support Standards and its linked Child Support Standard Chart

If there has been a change to your income since the order was issued, it would be a good idea to run the numbers through an online calculator to make sure that you will indeed qualify for a downward modification based on the standards. Otherwise, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Caveat: When the eldest ages out, the cs does not necessarily drop in half.

Source: NYS DCSE Child Support Standards and its linked Child Support Standard Chart

If there has been a change to your income since the order was issued, it would be a good idea to run the numbers through an online calculator to make sure that you will indeed qualify for a downward modification based on the standards. Otherwise, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.
Good point, and now I will address the whole college issue. Were you ordered to help pay for it?

Our orders were out of NY and my ex was ordered to pay college expenses. He refused, claiming terms weren't met, and I chose not to take it to court. BUT.... when the oldest aged out, I did tell him I'd do it unless he continued CS until #2 graduated.

I would suggest you review your orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">