• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non custodial parent visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DevonaJ

What is the name of your state? Tennessee. I have had sole custody of my son for 6 years now. His biological father does not have any visitation with him. Approximately 4 years ago, he did have visitation and would not visit with the child, he left him with his mother and grandmother during his time and therefore his visitation was been revoked, after only a month. About a year ago, his daughter, who is 10 months older than my son, was being sexually abused by her older half brother, she then abused my son, while they were visiting with his father and stepmother. I did not report this incident to children's services. To my knowledge this little girl has not received any help and the matter was dropped once she admitted what her older brother had done to her. My son, also has not had any further contact with her. This father and daughter live in a 2 bedroom home with his mother and grandmother. His girlfriend is an ex convict, whose was imprisoned for stabbing someone. He is now filing a modification to get visitation with my son. How can I prevent this under these circumstances? What steps do I need to take to prevent his daughter from abusing my son again?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unfortunately, you didn't report it when it happened. You could probably report it now, but it may well be seen as a move to get back at your son's father for filing for visitation. I suspect that at this point the best thing you can do is empower your son in not being alone with her, learning to say now, and learning to always tell you if she tries anything at all.

D

DevonaJ

Thanks for the reply. He is filing for the visitation due to the fact he hasn't paid his child support in the last 4 months and was ordered to pay or spend time in jail. He has already spent time in jail 2x before due to failure to pay his support. He has never had anything to do with my son since his birth. I have documentation back to 1997 of him refusing visitation with my son. I am really concerned for my child. He did go to his grandparents a couple of times after this incident and his sister was there also. At these times she requested to sleep with my son. Of course, the grandparents refused and made sure they were in separate rooms, but what bothers me the most is she was caught doing this to my son and still would have continued after being caught. Should I request a psycological evaluation of this situation? I know that no court will let him have over night visitation due to his living arrangments and that my son has no place to sleep. I also do not want my son having contact with his girlfriend, her arrest record is longer than my arm and I do have a copy of her record for proof.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think your best bet would be to talk to a lawyer - even if it's only for an initial consult. S/he would be able to tell you what you can and can't do, etc...

K

KCMR

I would insist on supervised visitation. I think under the circumstances that wouldn't be too much to ask for. Your sons well being is at stake, ya know?

I'm so sorry...I hope everything works out.

D

DevonaJ

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to juvenile services and they said that I should have nothing to worry about. They said before the judge does grant anything I will be provided with an attorney and the children will go through counseling.

Ambr

DevonaJ said .......

They said before the judge does grant anything I will be provided with an attorney and the children will go through counseling.

----------------------------------------

I would do more checking into that. I have never heard of a FAMILY COURT appointing an attorney for someone. That is the problem that alot of people have with the FAMILY COURT system. They can't afford the attorneys that are needed and most either don't file with the courts or try to go through the courts on their own.

Don't assume that one will be appointed. You might need to hire one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">