• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Custodial Parent who has child full time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have had my 14 year old for the last 2 years full time. My ex husband lost his dad and couldn't handle life, so I offered to help him with our daughter. He hasn't seen her much nor even contacted her. He doesn't help with any costs and for the first 6 months I was still paying him child support. I have an opportunity to go back to Nebraska for a job and have support of family. If he tells me no, I cant go, do I have a probable case against him to be able to get full custody and move back home?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can certainly file tomodify custody based on status quo. Whether you can relocate the child will be up to the judge.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I hope you are cordial with dad, because, at this point, you owe him 18 months of back child support. (Unless, of course, you stopped paying child support based on a court order.)

I have always been cordial. He is very well aware of what I want. I have also paid him back child support even though I have her and full time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I hope you are cordial with dad, because, at this point, you owe him 18 months of back child support. (Unless, of course, you stopped paying child support based on a court order.)
If the bolded does not apply, you may find that Dad will be credited arrears when/if you are awarded support.

What if I don't want support. Just want a better life for our daughter and if he wants her at anytime, he is welcome to her.

LdiJ

I have had my 14 year old for the last 2 years full time. My ex husband lost his dad and couldn't handle life, so I offered to help him with our daughter. He hasn't seen her much nor even contacted her. He doesn't help with any costs and for the first 6 months I was still paying him child support. I have an opportunity to go back to Nebraska for a job and have support of family. If he tells me no, I cant go, do I have a probable case against him to be able to get full custody and move back home?
You certainly have the right to try. You have status quo of having primary custody so you should file to change custody anyway even if you are not given permission to relocate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">