• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If you use "one of those companies", it transforms the nature of the debt from Child Support to just "regular" consumer debt. The downside is that, although child support cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, consumer debt can be. It is your choice, but please keep that in mind.
Is this also true for Canada, where the court order originates?

To my way of thinking, New York is doing what it can to comply with the Canadian cs order.

Anything further, legally, has to go through the Canadian court that maintains jurisdiction.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is this also true for Canada, where the court order originates?

To my way of thinking, New York is doing what it can to comply with the Canadian cs order.

Anything further, legally, has to go through the Canadian court that maintains jurisdiction.
Dunno - but it is true here in America. That's really all that matters, unless he wants to travel to Canada.

Tlm2018

Probably not worth the risk if it transposes it to a consumer debt. He has threatened many times to declare bankruptcy and i had to inform him support doesn't get included. I guess it becomes a waiting game.

HRZ

What kind of self employment...is any license required ..is it possible to go after his client base or work product ....think outside the box...

HRZ

The transfer of his corporate assets /ownership to defeat his creditors for child support might run a foul of NYs fraudulent conveyance laws....but that's way beyond me ...others here may be more knowledgeable .

Tlm2018

Its a distributorship with a european country. The other is a us based company which he claims went bankrupt but i dont know. I have provided names of the companies to enforcement but all they do is send the paperwork and when its not returned that is all they do. Sadly if this were strictly canada based our enforcement would continually haul him to court for non payment until something was worked out. Even canada enforcement agrees this has been sat on for way too long.

Yes I would think transferring to avoid would be a detriment to him...but only if they dug deep enough to look for it which I don't think they will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">