• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-exempt employees & forced vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ginab

What is the name of your state? california

i work for a non-profit organization that has forced a closure for approximately 2 weeks during the christmas holiday for the past several years in an effort to save money. the options for exempt and non-exempt employees have been to use our vacation time or take the time unpaid.

are there any legal implications or ramifications of having non-exempt employees included in this forced closure? they follow the same guidelines as exempt employees by being forced to use their vacation time or go unpaid.

also, does anyone know if any web site or other source where i can find information about any changes there may be to the law about non-exempt employees that may have taken effect this year?

thank you for any assistance and information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing whatsoever illegal about forcing either exempt or non-exempt employees to take vacation during a forced closure. They don't HAVE to offer vacation at all; they can certainly dictate when it can be taken. A non-exempt employee never has to be paid for time they do not work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">