• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-extraditable warrant from 15 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

me6402

What is the name of your state? Nevada

In approximately 2003 I was convicted of grand theft auto in California. At the time it was my first criminal offense. I was sentenced to 6 months in jail and probation. I served my time and was told the charge would be dropped to a misdemeanor if I completed my probation. I went to my monthly probation meetings and court dates for about six months and wanted to move to Arizona as I was only traveling through California at the time of my arrest. They would not allow me to move to Arizona and it left me in a tough spot as I knew no one in California and had no home or real job. So I moved to Arizona anyway and would monthly drive to California to go to my probation appointments. Eventually I missed an appointment and stopped going. I also missed my status check court date. Then a year later I got into trouble again for theft and received multiple felonies in Arizona and served my probation time and paid back all my restitution, etc. While on probation I informed my probation officer in Arizona of my unresolved issues in California and was never given any direction on how to resolve it. I've learned that I have an non-extraditable warrant in California for me but can't find out any details on it or what to do. I live in Nevada now and all this stupid nonsense of the past is behind me. I have a family now, job and my life is turned around. But this warrant hangs over my head and I want to get it cleared up but don't know how. I've called the court and they would not give me any information. They told me to go online and find information and I was not successful. I called back and they said I could go to a local law enforcement agency and they could look up the warrant. I'm hesitant to do that because I fear being arrested. I'm ok with being arrested if I can have bail already arranged etc and to know how to get this taken care of.

How do I find out what my charge is?
How do I get this resolved?
Can it be resolved without me having to go to California?
If I do have to go to California and get arrested first, how do I know the bail amount and how do I arrange it?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to make this right! Thank you!

PayrollHRGuy

Call a lawyer in the jurisdiction that holds the warrant. Tell him your story.

You can of course call the court where it happened and they will be able to give you some information. But the info you get isn't guaranteed.

xylene

I think you need to talk to a lawyer in California.

I don't think that you can just "resolve" this in the way you are imagining.

I'm happy for you finding peace and a better way of living. That said you need to reread your narrative, because admitting you left the state (absconded) and then committed some felonies but learned a hard lesson is not actually how to make it go away. That sounds more redemptive than they will see it.

A lawyer is a must.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I'm ok with being arrested if I can have bail already arranged etc and to know how to get this taken care of.
I don't know how liberal CA is, but in my experience don't count on having bail set as you already violated your probation and fled the state. You would likely sit in a cell until all of your court appearances are over.

As you've been told, you very much need an attorney in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">