• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non extraditable warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MER7

What is the name of your state? Austin Texas

Non extraditable warrant for harassment that was showing up on the background check when I applied and got accepted for this one job, which is now on hold for me to dispute with the background company.

Going back a bit, it started about 2 years ago when my mom went into a hospital for a leg infection, and she was put near COVID patients and died a week later. I let my brother and two sisters know, and after a year, I finally realized I would like to go into the healthcare field to help people. About a year ago, at that time, I was searching for a college to do training while every Sunday attending church. I also met a lady about 30 years old online, and we got involved. Long story short, I tried to help her from the trouble she was getting into, but cops got involved when I told her caseworker, who told the lady I was seeing at the time, and she got mad and lied that I was harassing her when I was not and even have text messages to show that she said to come see her. Now, later down the time line, I am driving through Utah and get pulled over for speeding a little over the limit. The copy says that there is a warrant, but it is only in Texas, so let's go on my way. Calling over to Texas in Austin, they say it is a minor warrant and give me the cop's number to call and see if he could remove the warrant, but every time I tried calling, he would never answer or respond back. I finally got accepted into medical school. At the same time, when I moved to a new state, I hired an attorney who wanted a lot of money but said I could pay like $500 a month and 1k down as well could skip next month's payment, so I gave him my last 1k but never heard back for 3 months while in med school. By the third or fourth month, they sent me an email saying I am 2K past due, and that was the same time I had applied at a hospital to find out that the background check is marked as "Consider," and they say it says harassment charge, sent me a pre-adverse action notice, and then asked me to dispute it if it was incorrect. I advised my attorney that I could file an attorney grievance and would like my money back, but they said that's all been spent and they needed more money to do anything as this case would need to be closed and later expunged. They could have at least called the officer on my behalf to try and settle this because, without a job, it's hard to pay the attorney, and they want near 10k.

Please, any advice out there? Is there a way to get this removed quickly enough to still get the job at the hospital in order to help people?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Austin Texas

Non extraditable warrant for harassment that was showing up on the background check when I applied and got accepted for this one job, which is now on hold for me to dispute with the background company.

Going back a bit, it started about 2 years ago when my mom went into a hospital for a leg infection, and she was put near COVID patients and died a week later. I let my brother and two sisters know, and after a year, I finally realized I would like to go into the healthcare field to help people. About a year ago, at that time, I was searching for a college to do training while every Sunday attending church. I also met a lady about 30 years old online, and we got involved. Long story short, I tried to help her from the trouble she was getting into, but cops got involved when I told her caseworker, who told the lady I was seeing at the time, and she got mad and lied that I was harassing her when I was not and even have text messages to show that she said to come see her. Now, later down the time line, I am driving through Utah and get pulled over for speeding a little over the limit. The copy says that there is a warrant, but it is only in Texas, so let's go on my way. Calling over to Texas in Austin, they say it is a minor warrant and give me the cop's number to call and see if he could remove the warrant, but every time I tried calling, he would never answer or respond back. I finally got accepted into medical school. At the same time, when I moved to a new state, I hired an attorney who wanted a lot of money but said I could pay like $500 a month and 1k down as well could skip next month's payment, so I gave him my last 1k but never heard back for 3 months while in med school. By the third or fourth month, they sent me an email saying I am 2K past due, and that was the same time I had applied at a hospital to find out that the background check is marked as "Consider," and they say it says harassment charge, sent me a pre-adverse action notice, and then asked me to dispute it if it was incorrect. I advised my attorney that I could file an attorney grievance and would like my money back, but they said that's all been spent and they needed more money to do anything as this case would need to be closed and later expunged. They could have at least called the officer on my behalf to try and settle this because, without a job, it's hard to pay the attorney, and they want near 10k. Another lawyer's website says I could file for attorney malpractice.
[link removed]

Please, any advice out there? Is there a way to get this removed quickly enough to still get the job at the hospital in order to help people?
Your post was reported to the moderator to have the link to the attorney’s website removed. Commercial links are not permitted on this forum.

I don’t know how quickly your issue can be resolved so I can’t tell you if it will affect you getting a job at the hospital. Can you go to the Texas court and clear the warrant personally? Call the court clerk and ask for the options available to you.

Last edited:

MER7

You think the court is really that nice. I thank you for the advice, but I will continue to seek all channels for help until I can actually find it, and again, I will say: I have moved out of the state and am happy as well as stuck where I am at. Also, due to not being able to find a job, my life is in danger everyday.

Last edited:

quincy

You think the court is really that nice, I thank you for the advice but will continue to seek all channels for help till can actually find help.
It is not a matter of the court “being nice.” It is how warrants are cleared.

You pay whatever is owed and/or you set up a hearing date when you can appear before the judge to answer for why you did whatever you did to make the issuance of a warrant necessary (I assume you missed a court date somewhere along the line).

The process will take however long it takes, regardless of any urgency you might express, so there is no guarantee that the hospital will hold open any job for you.

But, sure, seek out additional help from an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction (and/or in Texas) to see if s/he can give you a better sense of timing.

quincy

If you read what I wrote: I did seek an attorney and they was a big failure.
What was the warrant for, if not for failure to appear?

I understood from your first post that the attorney you hired did not accomplish what you wanted him to accomplish. You can file a Bar complaint against that lawyer.

But, if your major concern is correcting the arrest warrant information appearing on background checks so you can get the job at the hospital, filing a complaint against the attorney is not going to do that.

You are not going to get the background check information corrected until you get the warrant information corrected - which means a return to court to clear the warrant (possibly issued over a court hearing on the harassment incident).

You potentially can clear the warrant (and any possible underlying criminal charge) by personally going to the court that issued the warrant or by having an attorney you hire go in your place.

MER7

Your definitely right about that, I should focus on getting this cleared as soon as possible. See the thing am afraid of is that the courts are about money and all they want to do is just toss me in a cell and maybe stretch the case out for 3 years. I will call on Monday when they open to see what can find out but am not seeing that the courts will reasonable or maybe (I never know) but its like what really do I tell them and ask. Why could not the attorney do something so easy is what really makes me think the courts are not going to play nice here with this one.

quincy

Your definitely right about that, I should focus on getting this cleared as soon as possible. See the thing am afraid of is that the courts are about money and all they want to do is just toss me in a cell and maybe stretch the case out for 3 years. I will call on Monday when they open to see what can find out but am not seeing that the courts will reasonable or maybe (I never know) but its like what really do I tell them and ask. Why could not the attorney do something so easy is what really makes me think the courts are not going to play nice here with this one.
Read through the information provided in the following link, published by the Texas Legal Help Organization:

https://texaslawhelp.org/article/a-warrant-has-been-issued-for-my-arrest-ticket-help-texas

Because you have not disclosed enough about the earlier harassment incident to determine how serious the incident was - and that’s good that you didn’t disclose too much on a public forum, by the way - it is impossible to say what sort of reception you will receive in court should you appear there personally without an attorney. It is generally better to have an attorney check out the details first so you don’t wind up in jail.

Once the warrant is cleared (doing whatever it takes to clear it), you then need to ensure that the court and police databases that background check companies rely on are updated. Then you need to make sure that the background check companies have updated their information.

The entire process can take awhile. I hope the hospital has patience.

Last edited:

MER7

You really think I am that stupid enough to head down to the court room o_O Yeah so they can take me to the back and lock me up............... Warrant means they want to do just that hello :/ The crazzy part is I am innocent and did nothing wrong here but give a tip on someone getting who is out there hurting themselves and was about to get in trouble so this situation actually helped save her life. Careful who you listen to out there!!!

quincy

You really think I am that stupid enough to head down to the court room o_O Yeah so they can take me to the back and lock me up............... Warrant means they want to do just that hello :/ The crazzy part is I am innocent and did nothing wrong here but give a tip on someone getting who is out there hurting themselves and was about to get in trouble so this situation actually helped save her life. Careful who you listen to out there!!!
If you don’t want to risk an arrest on the warrant should you visit Texas, have an attorney in Texas go to the court to handle the warrant for you.

What you do depends on how badly you want to resolve this matter. You could stay out of Texas to avoid arrest but the warrant will continue to appear on a background check - and the hospital job that you wanted probably will be offered to someone else.

It is ultimately your choice. Good luck with whatever decision you choose to make.

MER7

by the way, no hard feelings, we can't have expertise in everything as there's just way too many things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">