• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment/breaking lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

I need some advice, my girlfriend has come upon a hard situation and cannot make her lease payments. She is in a 6 month lease and has paid 2 months of the 6. What are the consequences of her not fulfilling the lease? I mean I would imagine it goes on credit and rental history correct?

dequeendistress

As you stated, this will effect her rental history and credit history.

The landlord also may file against her in small claims court for any monies due.

What does her lease say about early termination? Has she spoken to her landlord to see if he will work with her on leaving early? She's responsible for the lease until expiration or the unit is rented again. Can she sublet? There might be alternatives to just walking away with hits on her credit/rental history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">