• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment of bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnivPeak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
As of Nov. 20, 2008, my employer of one year+ has failed to pay Q2 2008 and Q3 2008 bonuses and did not pay Q4 2007 or Q1 2008 until 15 weeks after the quarter ended. I heard through the Finance that some employees have been paid. This strikes me as unethical if not outright illegal. Any thoughts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is going to depend on the terms of the bonus agreement. The law does not address bonuses directly.

UnivPeak

Bonus Non-payment

My employment contract states as follows:

"Bonus:

In addition to your base salary, you will have the opportunity to earn $XX,XXX in bonus moneys over the next 12 months, measured and paid quarterly, for successful completion of management objectives. Your specific management objectives will be established within 3 weeks of your start date and will be achievable and payable on a quarterly basis over a 12-month period."

All of my bonus objectives were related to personal performance and not company or business unit performance. I received full payments for Q4 2007 and Q1 2008 (albeit quite late). I am concerned about Q2 and Q3 for tax reasons: I have the ability to shelter this income this year that I will lose next year. The slippage of these bonus payments into next year would result in an approximately $4,000 higher tax payment in 2009.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">